MANILA – For former Justice secretary and now Senator Leila de Lima, there is no legal obstacle to bury former strongman Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes’ Cemetery).
”So far, I can see no legal impediment,” De Lima, one of the critics of President Duterte, said in an interview with the Senate media Monday.
De Lima admitted that there are no standards on who should be buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.
”There are no proper standards except to enumerate on who should be buried, you know – military personnel, former presidents, former dignitaries, soldiers, etc. but no standards,” she explained.
De Lima said a bill can be filed to set specific standards who should be buried at the heroes’ cemetery.
” It’s better said than done… you know, we propose a bill on that. Makakapasa ba yan? Mapipirmahan ba yan?,” De Lima said.
Over the weekend, President Rodrigo Duterte lived up to his election campaign promise to allow the burial of Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani tentatively on September 18.
President Duterte said Marcos, as a soldier and a former president, is qualified to be buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani that was established in 1947, to pay tribute to Filipino soldiers and fallen heroes and to serve as a final resting place for former Philippine presidents.
Several groups, including the relatives of martial law victims, opposed the Marcos burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.
”Those concerned can always take some legal steps. Ang una ko ngang naisip is some sort of an injunctive class suit ng mga pamilya o biktima ng mga abuso nung martial law. Pero hindi ko po alam kung kaya talaga,” De Lima said.
The lady senator advised Malacanang to reconsider the “very divisive” decision. Jelly Musico/PNA/northboundasia.com