GENERAL SANTOS CITY — Local authorities raised the security alert here following the bomb attacks over the weekend at the public market in Isulan town, Sultan Kudarat and a military camp in Indanan, Sulu.
Col. Eduardo Gubat, commander of the Army-led Joint Task Force GenSan, said Monday they beefed up the security measures in various public places and in all entry and exit points of the city.
Gubat said the move is aimed at preventing the possible movements of members of terror groups, especially those behind the attack in Isulan town.
He said the city, which just concluded the week-long celebration of the 2019 Tuna Festival, is currently under Alert Level 3.
Eight people were wounded in the bomb explosion in front of the Isulan public market in Barangay Kalawag 3 around 7 a.m. last Saturday.
Police are initially eyeing extortion as the motive of the attack, which was the fourth in the area since August 2018.
In Indanan, an alleged suicide bomber was killed in an explosion around 5:45 p.m. at the entrance of the camp of the Army’s 35th Infantry Battalion Sunday (September 8).
“We have not monitored any threats as of the moment but the city had long been a target of terror groups,” Gubat told reporters.
Col. Aden Lagradante, city police director, said he ordered the city’s eight police stations to increase their visibility, especially in public places.
Lagradante said he assigned additional personnel to secure shopping malls, churches, public markets as well as government buildings and offices.
“We have tightened the inspections in our checkpoints and we dispatched more patrol units to our streets,” he said.
The police official said they are taking all the necessary measures to prevent a repeat of the bomb attack near a commercial area along the national highway in Barangay Apopong here on Sept. 16, 2018 that left eight people wounded.
The blast happened several days after the twin explosions in Isulan last year that killed five people and left dozens injured. Richelyn Gubalani / PNA – northboundasia.com