MANILA — The Presidential Security Group (PSG) assured on Tuesday that members of the command are well-trained and prepared to ensure the safety of President Rodrigo Duterte after an advance party of PSG and local troops were ambushed in Lanao del Sur earlier in the day.
PSG spokesperson Lt. Michael Aquino made the assurance after an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded while a convoy of vehicles carrying PSG personnel, Radio-Television-Malacanang (RTVM) and army troops was passing through Sitio Matalupay in Marawi City.
The ambush resulted in the wounding of seven PSG personnel, including one who was seriously injured, and two regular troops.
The wounded were airlifted by a Presidential chopper to an undisclosed medical facility in Cagayan de Oro City for treatment.
The PSG and RTVM personnel are in Lanao del Sur in preparation for the visit of President Duterte on Wednesday to get first-hand information on the ground in the ongoing offensive against the Maute terror group.
Aquino said that they are not sure yet if the attack specifically targeted the President or a result of ongoing operations in the area.
“Assessment is being made as to identify the explosive and who was behind the attack,” Aquino said.
Meanwhile, the PSG official said they cannot say how the incident will affect President Duterte’s planned visit but assured that the PSG is up to the task of securing the President.
“Our security is really tight everywhere we go. We are always on alert and we do not let our guard down. Our men are well-trained and their training is good,” Aquino said. Cielito Reganit/PNA-northboundasia.com