LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — Based on the final count made by the Provincial Health Office (PHO), the number of firecracker-related injuries in Pangasinan this year as of 8:30 a.m. today (January 5) was 45 percent lower than last year’s.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Anna de Guzman revealed there were 114 persons treated for firecracker blasts in different parts of their bodies as compared to the 208 treated last year.
The number came from 14 hospitals operated by the Pangasinan provincial government and the Region I Medical Center based in Dagupan City operated by the Department of Health (DOH).
The count for firecracker victims started December 21, 2016 till January 5, 2017.
This year, there were seven persons amputated, six on their fingers and one on his hand as a result of firecracker explosions, De Guzman said.
There were two persons hurt by stray bullet. One victim was a 45-year-old woman from Barangay Piaz, Villasis and the other was a 22-year-old man from Manaoag.
Investigation is still going on to determine from whose firearms did the two stray bullets come from.
The PHO said that the firecrackers that caused most injuries were the banned piccolo, five star and “boga”. PNA-northboundasia.com