LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — The Pangasinan Provincial Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) will be on full-alert with the implementation of “Oplan Summer-Vacation” (Sum-Vac) starting March 23.
Avenix Arenas, PDRRMC spokesperson, said the move is in anticipation of more than 10,000 beach-goers to flock the Lingayen Beach starting Holy Monday.
Arenas said they already asked the assistance of the Pangasinan police provincial office (PPPO), Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and the local government units of Lingayen and Bugallon to assist in the implementation of “Oplan Sum-Vac.”
Arenas also urged the barangay officials along coastal areas to take charge in their respective areas of responsibilities in ensuring the safety of their local tourists and visitors.
According to Arenas, PDRRMC targets zero drowning-incident for Sum-Vac 2016.
“Last year, we were able to hit our target,” said Arenas.
She admitted though that the cooperation of the public is a big factor in attaining their goal.
PDRRMC currently implements the no swimming policy by 6 p.m. at the Lingayen Beach.
Meanwhile, a 13-year-old boy drowned in the Lingayen Beach last March 12.
The victim was with neighbors and friends from Barangay Matatalaib, Tarlac City to celebrate the birthday of two of their companions.
The victim was with three other companions bathing in the sea when they were pulled by the strong current. The victim’s three companions were rescued by the personnel of PDRRMC.
Arenas said the boy’s body was recovered in the Sual- Bugallon area the following day.
“Prior to the drowning incident, our personnel already warned the victim’s company about the ‘no swimming policy’ since it was nearly 6 p.m., but they insisted, although they did their best to rescue them all, however the water current is too strong during that time of the day,” said Arenas.
She added that the cooperation of the beach-goers themselves is much needed to prevent any untoward incident. PNA / northboundasia.com