Palace assures heightened alert in place even after Holy Week

MANILA, Philippines — Malacanang on Sunday assured that concerned government agencies will continue to maintain heightened alert even after the Holy Week celebration to prevent similar deadly terror attacks that happened in Brussels, Belgium last week.

”Sa lahat ng pagkakataon ang pangunahing isinasaalang-alang ng pamahalaan ay ang seguridad at pangkalahatang kaligtasan ng ating mga mamamayan, lalo’t higit sa kanilang paglalakbay pabalik sa kani-kanilang mga tahanan pagkatapos ng Semana Santa,” Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said in a Radyo ng Bayan interview.

Coloma said all the concerned government agencies are working closely to intensify the existing security protocols in every points of entry of the country.

”Nanatiling maagap at mataas ang antas ng kahandaan ng pamahalaan sa pagtugon sa ano mang banta sa ating pambansang seguridad,” Coloma said.

Coloma said different security measures such as visibility of uniformed personnel, X-ray screening and inspection of all persons, luggage and hand-carried items in all transport terminal buildings are part of the security protocols being implemented throughout the country to fight threat of terrorism.

At least 30 people were reportedly killed and over 200 were injured in two bombings that hit Brussels airport and the Maalbeek metro station.

According to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), no one among the 7,000 Filipinos living and working in Belgium was hurt in the terror attacks reportedly claimed by the Islamic State, also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS). Jelly Musico / PNA / northboundasia.com