No Pinoy victims in Maryland newsroom shooting: DFA

No Pinoy victims in Maryland newsroom shooting: DFA

MANILA— The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday confirmed that no Filipino was among the fatalities in the shooting at the headquarters of the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland.

Officials at Anne Arundel County had confirmed that five people were killed while several others were wounded after a gunman opened fire at the local newspaper office.

According to the Philippine Embassy in Washington, D.C., there are more than 7,900 Filipinos in the Third Congressional District of Maryland, which includes Anne Arundel County.

Ambassador of the Philippines to the United States Jose Manuel Romualdez said the Embassy is now in contact with members of the Filipino community in the area.

So far, there have been no reports of any member of the Filipino Community being among the victims, he added.

The Philippines, through the DFA, extended its sympathies to the US following the incident.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who lost loved ones in the tragedy in Annapolis,” Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said after he was informed about the shooting incident by the embassy. Joyce Ann Rocamora/PNA-northboundasia.com