MANILA— Three days after the fatal bridge collapse in Genoa, Italy that killed 39, the Philippine government reported no Filipino was among the number.
“The Department of Foreign Affairs said so far there are no Filipinos among the dead and injured recovered by authorities at the site of the collapsed Morandi Bridge in Genoa,” Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary and spokesperson Elmer Cato said on Thursday.
A total of 37 of the 39 fatalities who have been identified so far were nationals from France, Peru, Chile, and Colombia.
Citing information from Consul General in Milan Irene Susan Natividad, Cato said the government was assured Genoa authorities will contact the Consulate if the two unidentified victims or any additional victims who may be recovered in the scene turn out to be a Filipino.
“She said there are also no Filipinos among the 16 who are being treated for their injuries in local hospitals. A team from the Consulate General has returned to Milan after checking local hospitals and meeting with members of the Filipino community there,” Cato added.
On Tuesday, a portion of the Morandi bridge collapsed in Genoa. Local authorities are still investigating the cause of the collapse, which was reported to be undergoing maintenance work at the time of the incident, which also happened during heavy rains. Joyce Ann Rocamora/PNA-northboundasia.com