MANILA -– Newly-appointed Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Wando Corazon Teo on Friday said that she is pushing for the 2017 edition of Miss Universe to be held in Manila.
In an interview with reporters at the DOT office in Makati City, Teo said that she has already met with Miss Universe Organization president Paula Shugart to present a proposal.
“I had a meeting with Paula Shugart and made a proposal to have Miss Universe held here but I have to get the approval of the President (Rodrigo Duterte) first,” Teo said.
The DOT chief said that holding the pageant in the Philippines would give the country more exposure and entice tourists to visit.
“I was told that there would be around 100 candidates (from around the world) that would come,” Teo said.
She further said that if the proposal pushes through, the Miss Universe events will be done in different provinces in the Philippines.
The country has hosted the Miss Universe twice in the pageant’s history, in 1974 and 1994.
Earlier this year, Miss Universe 2015 Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach said that she is aggressively campaigning for the Philippines to host what is considered the most prestigious pageant in the world.
The 2015 edition of Miss Universe was held December 20 at The AXIS in Las Vegas, USA. PNA / northboundasia.com