LAOAG CITY — The Philippine National Police (PNP) has intensified security preparations for the synchronized Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.
Senior Supt. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr., Ilocos Norte Police Provincial Office (INPPO) director, said personnel of the PNP have strengthened police visibility in the different parts of the province, particularly in areas where there had been cases of election-related violence.
“The security preparedness plan is continuous as the Barangay and SK elections had been postponed twice in 2016 and 2017,” Nartatez said.
On Tuesday (April 10), a Provincial Joint and Security Control Center (PJSCC) conference was conducted at Camp Valentin S. Juan to discuss security coverage during the upcoming May 14 polls.
Municipal Comelec officer Robert Fernandez of Sarrat town presided the meeting and discussed some important information and reminders in the upcoming elections.
Also present during the conference were representatives of the Department of the Interior and Local Government and law enforcement agencies.
Topics discussed during the conference covered a variety of subjects such as firearms and security risks, threat assessment, case tracking and status of targeted threats, security strategies, defense measures and communication operations.
Under Comelec Resolution No. 10246, the filing of certificates of candidacy is set on April 14 to 20 and the election campaign period will start on May 4 to 12.
During the election period covering April 14 to May 21, 2018, the Comelec reiterated carrying of firearms or other deadly weapons will be prohibited including alteration of precincts or establishment of new precincts, use of security personnel or bodyguards by candidates, transfer of officers and employees in the civil service, and suspension of any elective local officer. PNA-northboundasia.com