DUBAI — Doctors Without Borders (MSF) called on the parties to Yemeni conflict on Sunday to stop attacking medical facilities as an MSF hospital was hit by a Saudi-led coalition’s airstrike.
Earlier in the day, the MSF confirmed to Sputnik that one of the organization’s hospitals in Yemen had been subject to an attack, in which at least three people were killed and ten injured, with two of them being in a critical condition.
“We reiterate to all parties to the conflict that patients and medical facilities must be respected and that bombing hospitals is a violation of international humanitarian law,” the organization’s director of operations, Raquel Ayora, said in a statement obtained by RIA Novosti.
The warring sides would better create conditions for the safe delivery of humanitarian aid to the people in need, she added.
“We strongly condemn this incident that confirms a worrying pattern of attacks to essential medical services and express our strongest outrage as this will leave a very fragile population without healthcare for weeks,” Ayora said.
She also demanded an investigation into the circumstances of the incident.
Yemen has been engulfed in a military conflict between the government and the Houthi opposition faction for over a year.
Since March, a Saudi-led coalition has been carrying out airstrikes against Houthi positions at the request of Yemen’s President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.
Last month, the Saudi-led coalition conducted their latest airstrikes near an MSF clinic in Yemen. According to reports, nine people were injured.
The MSF attributed a number of previously conducted attacks on hospitals to the coalition, but the latter denied allegations. PNA/Sputnik / northboundasia.com