DFA: No Filipino reported hurt in Brussels airport attack

MANILA — No Filipino casualty was reported in the explosions that rocked Brussels airport and subway system on Tuesday, initial reports reaching the Department of Foreign Affairs said.

“So far we have not received report of any filipino affected by the explosion,” Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said in a text message to reporters.

At least one person was killed in the blasts, which occured days after the arrest in Brussels of Salah Abdeslam, the prime suspect in the Nov. 13 Paris attacks that killed 130 people.

All flights coming in and out of Brussels were canceled and diverted after authorities raised the terror alert to maximum security.

The Philippines is one of the world’s top labor-exporting nations with about 10 million skilled and unskilled workers scattered abroad, including in Europe.

Remittances from Filipino migrant workers constitute a significant source of the country’s foreign exchange, sending home over USD22 billion per year. Michaela del Callar/ PNA/ northboundasia.com