Controversial Cebu cop freed on Php 250,000 bail

CEBU CITY — Controversial Senior Police Officer 1 Adonis Dumpit was set free Friday from Leyte Regional Penitentiary (LRP) in Abuyog, Leyte after a year of serving his sentence and after posting a Php 250,000 bail.

Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) Director General Ricardo Cruz III signed the release order of Dumpit last Wednesday and directed Supt Geraldo Aro, head of LRP, to release Dumpit.

Dumpit’s lawyers paid the Php 250,000 bail required for his temporary freedom at the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 10 in Abuyog, Leyte last week.

The 20th Division of the Court of Appeals (CA) issued a resolution on the temporary release of Dumpit, provided he will pay the bail, appear in court whenever summoned and not leave the country while his appeal is pending.

Lawyers of Dumpit appealed before the CA the trial court’s decision convicting him of homicide.

Cebu City Mayor-elect Tomas Osmeña earlier said he was willing to shoulder the bail of Dumpit, who served as his bodyguard before he was jailed.

Miguel Osmeña, son of the incoming mayor, flew to Tacloban Friday on a private plane to fetch Dumpit and bring him to Cebu.

Lawyer Benjamin Militar, who serves as Dumpit’s counsel, said the order to release his client was signed last Wednesday, but LRP required them to submit the regular copy, delaying Dumpit’s release for a day.

Dumpit was charged with murder for the shooting of robbery suspect Ronron Go last Dec. 14, 2004.

But RTC Judge Ester Veloso reduced the case to homicide in August last year and sentenced him to serve time for six to nine years and to pay Go’s family Php 50,000.

Go allegedly robbed two jeepney passengers in the North Reclamation Area in Cebu City on that day. Dumpit responded to the alarm. PNA/northboundasia.com