Classes remain suspended in Ilocos Norte Thursday

LAOAG CITY—As the southwest monsoon, or “habagat” continues to bring rain in this northern part of Luzon, the Ilocos Norte government suspended classes from preschool to senior high school both in public and private schools Thursday, June 14.

As per advised by Gov. Ma. Imelda Josefa “Imee” Marcos, “classes in tertiary level and work in the private sector are upon the discretion of authorities or management.”

Offices of the provincial government are also closed Thursday – except those involved in the delivery of basic and health services, disaster preparedness, and other vital services.

The weather bureau said Thursday that moderate to occasionally heavy rains in Metro Manila and the western parts of Luzon, covering Batanes, Babuyan, Ilocos and Cordillera regions, Batangas, Cavite, Bataan and Zambales provinces, and the whole of Metro Manila is expected until Friday.

Though “Habagat” is expected to weaken on Saturday, weather specialist Ezra Bulquerin said it will still bring light to moderate rains over a large portion of Luzon.

The local government units here are also advised to monitor their areas and take precautionary measures against flash floods and landslides.

In Vintar town, Vice Mayor Victor Racimo Jr. reported Thursday that a landslide occurred in Pallas Valley. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

As of this posting, the Department of Public Work and Highways said they are on a full alert status.

“Our heavy equipment were already prepositioned in areas prone to landslides and so far, all roads remain passable,” said Engineer Nestor Pasion of the Ilocos Norte First Engineering District. PNA-northboundasia.com