Cebu City transport body, police back city’s biggest boxing event on April 23

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) and the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) have vowed to give their all out support to make the biggest boxing event in Cebu on April 23 a success.

“We are proud that the event will be here. We will do out best to make it a safe event and the flow of the traffic will be orderly,” said CCTO operations chief Jonathan Tumulak said.

Top Rank, ALA Promotions and ABS-CBN will stage Nonito Donaire Jr.’s World Boxing Organization (WBO) super bantamweight title defense against Zsolt Bedak on April 23 at the Cebu City Sports Center (CCSC).

This is so far the biggest boxing event ever promoted in Cebu City.

Tumulak said the CCTO had already mapped out a traffic scheme for April 23, which includes designated parking areas on Osmeña Boulevard from the Department of Health (DOH) 7 to the Cebu City Sports Center (CCSC).

Tumulak said there would be change in the routes of jeepneys because a part of Osmeña Boulevard would be closed.

They will also deploy around 50 to 60 personnel to make the traffic as orderly as possible.

CCPO operations chief David Señor, on the other hand, said they would deploy 129 police personnel for the event to ensure the safety of the people.

“This is a big event and we feel that with the support of the city and the venue it has made our jobs easier,” said ALA Promotions director of operations Jeana Alvarez.

ALA Promotions is expecting 13,000 to 15,000 people to attend the boxing event. PNA/ northboundasia.com