CamSur school in viral bag burning incident may lose permit to operate

MANILA — The Department of Education (DepEd) could suspend or revoke the permit to operate of a private school in Camarines Sur where an official allegedly burned students’ schoolbags.

In a statement released on Monday, DepEd said Secretary Leonor Briones has received initial reports from Regional Director Gilbert Sadsad confirming partial details of the incident at the Bicol Central Academy (BCA).

“If the school administrator’s accountability for the incident is established, DepEd has regulatory tools for private schools at its disposal: a possible suspension or revocation of the school’s permit to operate; or disqualification of the school to participate in the Education Service Contracting and Senior High School Voucher Program; or non-issuance of favorable recommendation for tax exemption, like import duties,” the statement read.

DepEd added BCA’s school administrator has called the schools division superintendent of Camarines Sur to explain the incident on Saturday but he is yet to submit a written response as required by Briones.

“Parents of the affected students are advised to file complaints or administrative charges against the school administrator with the proper authorities,” the statement added.

It also recommended for the school board to advise the school administrator to go on leave to make way for an impartial probe and to allay the students’ fear.

“DepEd wants to assure parents that the investigation will be just and fair, and we will not hesitate to impose the necessary sanctions on those who are proven to have violated the said policy,” it added.

Sadsad is set to visit the school on today (Aug. 20) along with guidance counselors who will provide psycho-social first aid to the concerned students.

On Saturday, Sadsad received a report about BCA’s teacher-owner-administrator who allegedly burned schoolbags of students who defied a “no-school bag policy” during a recent event.

The schoolbags reportedly contained cash, gadgets, and other personal belongings. A video of the incident has gone viral on social media. Ma. Teresa Montemayor/

Exit mobile version