CAMP GEN. SIMEON A. OLA, Legazpi Citym — A top official of the Philippine National Police Bicol regional office on Wednesday has issued a stern warning to all who never learn their lessons on firecrackers after an 11-year-old is now in critical condition due to firecracker injury.

Police Chief Supt. Agusuto M. Marquez Jr., Bicol police regional director, disclosed a report coming to his office said an 11-year-old boy is now in critical condition after the unconsumed firecracker powder that he had gathered after a fireworks display on Tuesday afternoon at Centro Poblacion, Oas, Albay, particularly in front of Oas Parish Church, exploded.

Marquez said victim Jay-An Antonio De Vera, a student and resident of Iraya Norte, Oas, was rushed to the Bicol Regional Teaching and Training Hospital (BRTTH) in Legazpi City.

The fireworks display was done at about 2 p.m. in celebration of the feast of the Immaculate Conception, the patroness of the town.

After the event, De Vera and his two companions decided to gather the unspent powder of the explosives, place these in a can and ignited the contents.

The burning powder exploded, causing burns in De Vera’s face and body.

He is now being treated at the BRTTH.

The victim’s two friends were spared as they were able to run when the powder was still burning.

“This should serve as a lesson to those who still plan to use firecrackers in the celebration of Christmas and New Year despite our strong warning and strict implementation of the firecracker ban,” Marquez said. Authorities are investigating the incident. PNA