Baler town fully prepared for wrath of typhoon “Lando”

Baler town fully prepared for wrath of typhoon “Lando”

BALER, Aurora –This town chief executive on Friday appealed to public to be always ready as typhoon Lando is expected to hit the provinces of Aurora and Isabela.

Town mayor Nelianto Bihasa said the municipality had placed its personnel on alert and efforts had been geared up to ensure the safety of the residents.

“Our Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office is on standby to attend to any trouble that may affect our people, livelihood, infrastructures, agriculture facilities in areas that might be hit by the typhoon,” Bihasa said.

Part of the measures is an information drive on what precautionary measures people must take ahead of the typhoon.

Gabriel Llave, chief of the Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Office, said that the government initiated continues activation of 24/7 operation center and assigned additional staff to monitor and ensure the dissemination of weather advisories through SMS, radio messages, letters and websites to barangay disaster risk reduction and management council.

The municipal tourism officer has also advised to inform the tourist to cancel their visits in this town until weather condition permits.

Llave also said that his office had also released directives to the barangays, Philippine Coast Guard, local fisher folks federations and passenger vessels that they were not allowed to venture out over the seaboards.

Distributions of emergency meeting letters were also released to the barangays chairmen, mandating that they were automatically members of the municipal disaster risk reduction office.

Llave also urged the public to follow the safety tips when using electrical devices and appliances in case of flooding.

He also urged the public to keep all channels of communication open and ready, including charging their mobile phones, laptops, radios, and other communication gadgets.

Outdoor activities are also prohibited along the beaches. These include swimming, surfing, diving and snorkeling, all types of water sports, boating and fishing and picnics.

“We also conducted inspections of the town identified evacuation centers including our assessment and readiness of our search and rescue team in terms of manpower and equipment,” he said.

Llave also said that continuous public information and awareness regarding the typhoon had been initiated. (Jason de Asis/PNA)