93 PERSONS ARRESTED SO FAR FOR GUN BAN VIOLATION IN REGION 1

CAMP BGEN OSCAR M FLORENDO — The Police Regional Office 1 (PRO1) arrested a total of 93 persons in 40 days of implementation of the Commission on Election (Comelec) gun ban since the start of the campaign period for national candidates on January 10.

PRO1 Regional Director Chief Superintendent Ericson T. Velasquez said the 93 arrested persons include 85 civilians, five government employees, two members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) and one security guard who were caught carrying firearms, gun replicas, explosives and bladed weapons.

The Region 1 police seized 61 assorted firearms, of which 18 are high powered and 43 are low powered firearms; three gun replicas; 11 bladed weapons; and 15 grenades and explosives.

The violators were arrested through the serving of search warrants issued by various courts, checkpoint operations, buy-bust and police response.

Based on records, 62 persons were arrested in Pangasinan, 11 in La Union, eight in Ilocos Sur and 12 in Ilocos Norte.

According to Velasquez, their recent gun ban accomplishment was the result of relentless implementation of Comelec checkpoints, One-Time, Big-Time operations in relation to “Lambat-Sibat”, and other focused police operations.

“I ordered our police on the ground to be extra-vigilant especially because the campaign period for the national candidates already started February 9. This is to ensure the safety and security of the political candidates who are visiting our region for their campaign sorties,” Velasquez said.

He likewise ordered the police stations and public safety forces to ensure their operational readiness and maximum security in their area of responsibilities (AORs) particularly in securing vital installations and other possible targets of the lawless elements. PNA/northboundasia.com