3 dead due to dengue in Iloilo City

ILOILO CITY — The Iloilo City Health Office (CHO) is urging the public not to take for granted possible signs of dengue and always immediately seek medical attention.

This, as the CHO recorded three deaths due to dengue in August.

CHO head Dr. Bernard Caspe, in an interview Wednesday, said the three deaths are among the city’s 187 dengue cases recorded since January, where two cases were recorded in August and another case in July.

The number of cases dropped almost 80 percent when compared with the same period last year with 968 cases. There were six deaths, however, for the entire year.

Caspe underscored the need for early consultation and not wait for the patient to manifest rashes or bleeding, stressing that dengue can be treated once it is diagnosed early.

He said that dengue has no specific treatment because it needs supported care as long as it is properly diagnosed.

What is important, he said, is to seek consultation once a fever has been lingering for two days already. There are rapid tests that can detect if a day with fever is already a dengue case.

Currently, there are rapid test kits available in health centers that were provided by the Department of Health (DOH).

Already, the CHO has completed the spraying of larvicide in Barangays San Nicholas and Magdalo all in Lapaz district where two deaths were recorded.

They are eyeing to complete spraying in Bitoon, Jaro either on Wednesday or Thursday.

“We are ready with larvicides,” he said.

He also encouraged that cleanup activities should be done daily and not just during weekends. PNA-northboundasia.com