TACLOBAN CITY — The Bureau of the Fire Department (BFP) in this city reminded residents to take extra caution in using candles now that Tacloban is in total black-out.
Early Wednesday at 5:00 a.m., seven houses at the Siren District of this city were razed by fire due to a unattended lit candle.Six of the houses were made from light materials while one was a concrete two-story house.
The BFP estimated the worth of damage to more than PHP400, 000. No major injuries or death was reported due to the fire.
Fire Senior Inspector Leonell Aurella said that this is the first fire incident reported in Tacloban after the total power outage following the 6.4 magnitude earthquake in July 6 and the 5.4 magnitude aftershock in July 10.
“When using candle, they must be conscious or they should use solar lamps or rechargeable lights to avoid fire incidents,” said Aurella.
Some of the affected residents of the fire are now temporarily staying with their relatives.
The city government of Tacloban in a meeting Wednesday morning presided by City Administrator Lawyer Irene Chu instructed the City Social Welfare and Development Office and the City Disaster Risk Reduction Council to assist all victims and provide financial assistance to the affected families.
The city government also made a commitment to BFP Tacloban that they will regularly supply water to help the fire department of their needs in responding to fire alarm.
Personnel of the Department of Social Welfare and Development had also visited the site to check the three families who are beneficiaries of the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program. PNA/Roel Amazona-northboundasia.com