BAGUIO CITY — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is still waiting for President Rodrigo Duterte’s Executive Order (EO) deputizing the military in the ongoing war against illegal drugs.
This was stressed by AFP chief-of-staff Gen. Eduardo Año during the sidelights of the annual PMA Alumni Homecoming in Fort Del Pilar, Baguio City Saturday.
“(We are) still waiting for EO. The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, will be the main operating unit and we will be only supporting the PDEA,” he added in Filipino.
Año said the AFP will provide forces if needed, and share intelligence with PDEA.
“We will provide forces, we will share intelligence and in all their operation, we will be deploying or sending the necessary force that will help them,” he added.
And on Duterte’ orders to crackdown hard on terrorist groups like the Abu Sayyaf and Maute Group, the AFP chief said that the Western Mindanao Command is launching another operation against these lawless elements.
“The Western Mindanao Command is launching another operation. Actually, it has already started, so we are only intensifying it. We are still targeting (ASG leader Isnilon) Hapilon as he is still in the area,” he added.
Hapilon was earlier reported wounded in a series of government offensives in Lanao Del Sur last month. Perfecto Raymundo/PNA-northboundasia.com