President Duterte extends anti-illegal drugs campaign until end of his term

President Duterte extends anti-illegal drugs campaign until end of his term

MANILA – Saying even another six months are not enough to finish the war on drugs, President Rodrigo Duterte has extended his massive campaign against illegal drugs until the last day of his six-year term in 2022.

”I will extend it to the last day of my term,” the President said in a press conference late Sunday night at Malacanang Palace.

During the election campaign period last year, President Duterte promised to wipe out illegal drugs in the first six months of his administration.

Last September, the President asked for another extension up to March this year, as surrendered and arrested drug personalities continue to pile the police list.

”March? It no longer applies. It should be during the last day of my term. Five years plus,” Duterte, a former Davao City mayor, said.

”When I was making ‘hambog’ (pretentious), I said: stop drugs, my paradigm is limited to Davao City. Little did I know when I became a president and had access already to all information available, hundred of thousands Filipinos are surrendering everyday,” he added.

The President has said the drug menace has contaminated at least four million Filipinos with many elected local officials, including barangay captains and even lawmaker and policemen are linked to the illegal drug trade.

”The police are doing on the pretext of doing the drug war. They are now a new strain of the original, these criminals, the big time Chinese and out of this was borne these police using warrant on the pretext that they are arresting you or searching you for drugs. These are the new police criminals,” the President said.

The President assured that the police scalawags and criminals will not be able to operate under his strong campaign against illegal drugs.

He said the drug problem has reached the level of national security, prompting him to involve the military in the police work to fight illegal drugs throughout the country.

Joining the President during the press conference are PNP Chief Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ dela Rosa, who promised to pursue President Duterte’s war on drugs by cleansing the PNP ranks of scalawags and criminals.

”As directed by the President, we are going to dissolve all anti-drug units of the PNP at all levels, including the anti-illegal drugs group of the PNP,” Dela Rosa said.

Dela Rosa was referring to the directive of the President to form a new anti-narcotics command that will partner with the Philippine Drugs Enforcement Agency (PDEA) in defeating the drug menace. PNA-northboundasia.com