Provincial Health Officer: Firecracker injuries in Pangasinan down by 42%

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — Firecracker injuries in Pangasinan decreased by 42 percent from December 31 to January 1 this year as compared to last year’s for the same period, the Provincial Health Office (PHO) reported.

Dr. Anna Teresa de Guzman, provincial health officer, said there were 50 injuries recorded this year or 42 percent lower than the 86 injuries recorded last year for the same period.

There were only two persons who underwent amputation in the province as a result of firecracker explosion. One was an 18-year old who was listed as a passive user and who lost his fingers when hit by a pla-pla firecracker when he was drunk.

The other was a 35-year-old man who was an active user whose left hand had to be amputated when a big-size triangle he was holding prematurely exploded.

Of the 50 persons injured, 32 were active users or those who exploded firecrackers and 18 are passive users or those who were injured when firecrackers were thrown to them by active users.

Forty nine of those injured were males and only one was female.

Picollo firecrackers injured 12 persons, big-size triangle, 9; baby rockets, 7 and pla-pla, six.

Dr. De Guzman said the data came from all hospitals, including the Region 1 Medical Center in Dagupan City, where those injured were treated.

She attributed the decrease in firecracker injuries to awareness campaign on “Oplan: Iwas Paputok” waged by local government units, including the barangay officials.

The police she said, were noted to be very strict in enforcing regulations as to the sale and use of firecrackers.

The countdown of firecracker injuries started Dec. 21 2016 and will last till January 7, 2017 yet. Leonardo Micua/PNA-northboundasia.com