PNP chief confirms transfer of 4 NBP inmates to Camp Crame

PNP chief confirms transfer of 4 NBP inmates to Camp Crame

MANILA — Philippine National Police Chief Director General Ronald Dela Rosa on Monday confirmed the transfer of four inmates from the New Bilibid Prisons (NBP) in Muntinlupa City to the PNP Headquarters in Camp Crame.

The four inmates identified as Ruben Tiu, Clarence Dongail, Edgar Cinco and Tomas Donina, have been transferred on Sunday at the PNP custodial center.

Dela Rosa said the transfer was requested by the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) which is tasked to investigate the riot that erupted inside the NBP last Wednesday. The riot left a convicted drug lord dead and four other high-profile inmates injured, including Jaybee Sebastian.

Dela Rosa said CIDG Director Chief Supt. Roel Obusan would request to get the statements of the inmates involved in the riot inside the PNP headquarters.

“Initially ang sabi sa akin ng director ng CIDG, irerequest niya para makunan ng statements dito sa loob ng crame,” he said.

He said the four NBP inmates will temporarily stay at the Custodial Center which has been home to arrested terrorists, top communist rebels, policemen and soldiers facing charges and even big-time drug lords.

Dela Rosa said he sees nothing wrong with the temporary detention of the four inmates at the custodial center, saying it is part of the ongoing probe on the Bilibid riot.

In fact, he said the transfer could even diffuse the tension at the NBP following the alleged riot that targeted high-profile inmates, some of them are leaders of groups inside the Bilibid.

“If this is designed to avoid further agitation of the convicts inside the Bilibid, that is fine with me,” said Dela Rosa.

Obusan earlier said they are now looking at the assailants in connection with the stabbing incident since they have already finished interviewing the victims and witnesses in the incident.

Investigators are looking at two versions of the incident at the NBP, based on the testimonies of the involved inmates.

Authorities are checking on Sebastian’s claim that he was just watching TV at the mess hall when fellow inmate Tomas Donina suddenly attacked him without provocation.

For his part, Department of Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II said the four inmates will be moved back to the national penitentiary once probers completed questioning them regarding the incident that resulted to the death of inmate Tony Co and injuries to Sebastian, Peter Co and Vicente Sy.

“They will stay there up to today (Monday) or tomorrow (Tuesday),” Aguirre said when sought for an update on the transfer of the four inmates adding that he expect the questioning of the four by probers to be done by Tuesday.

The three are still recuperating at the Medical Center Muntinlupa for the injuries sustained in the incident.

Sebastian was wounded after he was stabbed at the back and chest during last week’s riot while Dongail also sustained minor wounds but opted not seek hospitalization. PNA-northboundasia.com