Sen. Trillanes to file resolution calling for probe into supposed Bilibid riot

Sen. Trillanes to file resolution calling for probe into supposed Bilibid riot

MANILA — Senator Antonio “Sonny” Trillanes IV said Wednesday he is set to file a resolution seeking a probe into the alleged riot that erupted inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) earlier in the day, involving high-profile inmates.

Trillanes’ resolution directs the proper Senate Committee to conduct an inquiry on the apparent mismanagement and/or incompetence of the national Bilibid Prisons by the Bureau of Corrections and the Philippine National Police (PNP) leading to a brawl.

He said that the probe will be done in aid of legislation and will have the end in view of enacting remedial legislation that would prevent the recurrence of similar incidents.

Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II earlier confirmed the death of inmate Tony Co in the riot that started at 7:45 a.m. Meanwhile, inmates Peter Co, Jaybee Sebastian and Vicente Sy were injured.

This after a fellow inmate named Clarence Dongail reprimanded the three Chinese inmates — the two Cos and Sy — after he allegedly caught them in the act of sniffing ‘methamphetamine hydrochloride’ or shabu.

Tony Co, a few minutes later, reportedly attacked Dongail who happened to be inside the cell of convicted drug lord Jaybee Sebastian, with an ice pick. The three were brought to the Muntinlupa Medical Center for treatment. Azer Parrocha/PNA – northboundasia.com