BENI, DR Congo — At least 45 people were found dead in a massacre perpetrated on Saturday night in Beni City of North Kivu Province in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, city mayor Nyonyi Bwanakawa confirmed on Sunday.
According to the mayor, the assailants attacked the village of Rwangoma in the outskirts of the city, killing civilians.
President Kabila who is staying in the province of North Kivu, told the press that these acts were of pure terrorism.
“The terrorist massacre happening at the moment in the east is not different from what happened in Mali, France, Somalia and other corners of the world,” said Joseph Kabila in Goma.
Suspected rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces, an armed group of Ugandan origin, were responsible for the attack, according to army spokesperson Mak Hazukay.
Several military operations are underway in the region against the rebels in various parts of the province of North Kivu.
Local authorities said more than a thousand people have been massacred in this part of the country, in the province of North Kivu since last year. PNA/Xinhua/northboundasia.com