89 families in Cagayan, Isabela evacuated due to ‘Carina’

TUGUEGARAO CITY — Eighty-nine families in four towns of Cagayan and Isabela have sought refuge in evacuation centers as floods due to heavy rains brought by severe tropical storm ‘Carina’ continue to rise, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD)Regional Office-02 reported Monday.

Of the said number, 51 families or 153 individuals are from Gonzaga; six families or 25 persons are from Tuao both in Cagayan while 31 families or 78 individuals are from Benito Soliven, Isabela and two families or seven persons are from Santiago City.

According to OCD’s Situationer Report (SitRep) as of 7:00p.m., Sunday, continuous heavy downpour caused by ‘Carina’ has also rendered some secondary roads and bridges impassable as of press time. These include the Baculud and the Cabisera 5 Overflow Bridges, both in Ilagan City which were closed to traffic due to swollen river.

Other bridges that have been declared impassable include the Tawi and Cabasan in Penablanca, Cagayan and the Penablanca-Callao Cave Road at K0483+300. All three have been closed to traffic due to landslide.

Also, the Pinacanauan bridge and the Teresa Boulevard, both in Tuguegarao City have also been closed to traffic.

Earlier on Monday, all flights for Tuguegarao-Manila and Manila-Tuguegarao, including Batanes-Manila of both Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines were also cancelled.

Situation reports from the OCD said that the water level of Cagayan River remains to be at 2.85 meters, too far from its critical level of 12 meters.

However, the report also confirms that some tributaries of the river have accumulated rainwater, making some secondary bridges and roads impassable. BNB/SCD/Vivian C. de Guzman-stringer, PNA-Cagayan/ northboundasia.com