Palace drafting EO against media killings – Andanar

MANILA – Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Martin Andanar said on Sunday that an Executive Order is now being drafted to solve the media killings following another attack against a radio broadcaster in Surigao City on Thursday.

”You just wait because we, together with Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, are drafting (an EO) that has something to do with presidential task force against media killings. I’m pushing it as secretary of the PCO,” Andanar said in an interview with Radyo ng Bayan.

Last Saturday, Andanar issued an statement condemning an attempt to kill Saturnino Estanao of Radio Mindanao Network (RMN) and his Grade 6 son Anjover. The two were shot by unidentified gunmen on a motorcycle.

Estanao, a known fighter against illegal drugs, and his son survived the ambush.

”We believed that this journalist has been pushing his advocacy against illegal drugs and we are condemning the attack,” Andanar, a former TV news anchor, said.

Andanar said he reminded President Rodrigo R. Duterte last Friday during the Philippine National Police (PNP) Assumption of Command rites about the President’s promise to media and the people.

”We are now fine-tuning the executive order and hopefully by the grace of God, we will be able to announce it this week or next week,” Andanar said.

”This is one of the actions we are doing now para mapanatag po ang loob ng ating mga kasamahan sa media at stop these killings. This presidential task force is for extrajudicial killings against media,” he added.

Aside from the EO on presidential task force against media killings, Andanar said another executive order is being prepared for the Freedom of Information (FOI) measure.”Hopefully we will be able to announce it this week or next week. That’s the commitment of our President.”

In his inaugural speech last week, President Duterte said he will pursue his promise to fight illegal drugs, criminals and corruption. Jelly Musico/PNA/northboundasia.com