Drilon backs proposal to postpone barangay election

MANILA — Senate President Franklin Drilon on Thursday said he is favor to the proposal to postponement the barangay election originally set in October.

”I am in favor for the postponement but I do not know the sentiment of others,” Drilon said in an interview with radio dzMM.

Late last month, Commission on Election (Comelec) Chairman Andres Bautista proposed the postponement of barangay election, saying it would be expensive considering that the country held it’s national and local elections only last May 9.

Drilon said the Comelec’s proposal is one of the legislative agenda that will be prioritized in the 17th Congress that will start on July 25.

”Others have plan to postpone it and that’s why it should be debated,” Drilon said.

Bautista said holding the barangay election will cost the Comelec PHP3-PHP4 billion.

Incoming President Rodrigo Duterte reportedly said he does not favor the postponement of the Barangay election, stressing it will leave officials acting in a holdover capacity. Jelly Musico/PNA/northboundasia.com